Saturday, August 13, 2005

On seeking paradise

Finished Desperately Seeking Paradise yesterday. Excellent book. I have a few comments to make but will leave that for later. I find the book so engaging such that I have ordered five copies to be sent to several top brass in PAS. They may think I have been influenced by those they label as "Islam Liberal" (btw, this "labeling" needs to stop). But the book contains so much we can learn from, I think it is worth taking the chance. Attended the City Circle yesterday - a panel discussion on how to empower the Muslim communities. I am a bit disappointed with the way it was handled. Since it was a panel discussion, the discussion was not really focused and no one actually presented a way forward on how to empower the Muslims. But I am impressed by the rep of Hizb at-Tahrir and was even more impressed by the panel's ability to unanimously defend HT's right to exist as an organization. This was despite Ehsan Masood's, as chairperson, attempts to make cheap snipes at HT. Will now start reading Freakonomics. I can only afford some light reading now. The courgettes, carrots, aubergines and chilies in my back garden need some extra attention, I may be pressed for time. The grass needs cutting too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home