Thursday, May 12, 2005

Lizards and Glendurgan

Left the cabin quite early today. Took the village route from St Ives to The Lizards, passing through Hayle, Leedstown, RNAS Culdrose and Helston. By the time we arrived at Lizards, it was already nearly lunchtime. I was divided between buying a serpentine stone artefact or buying lunch for the family. I only had £30 in my wallet and the nearest cash machine is miles away. Unfortunately for the family, the serpentine stone (£29.50 barometer) won. When you have to choose between a once in lifetime opportunity to purchase such item and a starving family, I am afraid family comes second! Lizard Point was very, very windy. Kynance Cove, which is a mile to the west of Lizard Point is slightly more protected and more beautiful. Both are highly recommended though. The children began begging for food. Before they start telling other tourists that their father had forsaken them for a piece of carved rock, I decided to swiftly take them into the car and drive towards Glendurgan Garden near Falmouth. I gave the children some tea biscuits to keep them quiet. Usually, when I hear the word garden, I would associate it with flowers and landscaping. But Glendurgan is not that kind of garden. It is more like acres of land cultivated with varying trees, shrubs, palms and bamboos. It is different and not what I was expecting, but it is most certainly beautiful too. It was already 9pm when we got back to St Ives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home