Friday, December 31, 2004

Tsunami Updates

I have now managed to get Muslim Aid to help. From now onwards, I am collecting donations under the banner of Muslim Aid. This will ensure that whatever funds I collect will be delivered to the victims as quickly as possible. I am begging you to support this effort. I also spoke to a few more people who are working on the ground to help the victims of the tsunami. The victims in Kedah are beginning to feel the impact the tsunami has on their lives. It is beginning to "sink in". They are without a house, without food, without money, without proof of identity, without jobs. I was told that a few were talking about suicide due to what they see as lack of hope. I feel sorry for these people. But all I can do is to pray, and to ask that you will contribute as much as you could to help them. The money being raised may also go to Aceh. We have about 7 doctors working in Aceh. This morning, I was told that they want to set up a temporary hospital in one of the remote parts of Aceh. International help is coming in but not quickly enough. The people of Aceh needs help now. The temporary hopsital needs to be built now. The money needs to come in now. I did consider creating separate funds for Aceh and for Malaysia. But I thought, rather than deciding the allocations from here, I should leave it to the people on the ground to decide where the money should go. If I say ""give everything to Aceh, or "give everything to Malaysia", it wouldn't be fair as I do not know what is happening on the ground. The important thing is, by working with Muslim Aid, the sources of funds have now increased. And the people on the ground will allocate the funds according to the greatest need. What we need is cash. Not materials. Not food. Not medicine. But cash. Cash will allow the people on the ground to purchase whatever is necessary according to the needs. That is why I am only collecting money. Please go out and ask for as much money that you can get. Speak to your neighbours. Speak to your friends. Those who want to donate other items, you can donate to the charities that are doing the collections. Try www.dec.org.uk. I must apologize to those who want to donate other items because I do not have the ability to send anything other than cash. The brothers in Malaysia are working extremely hard to provide immediate support to those in need. The volunteer doctors in Aceh are focusing on healthcare to those most in need. They all need money. We need your support. We need your help. We need you to be generous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home